Escher.gif (426 bytes)

FTL Design
History of Technology

Engle Clock

EngleBroadside1.jpg (109045 bytes)

Engle Clock Broadside, 6.5" x 10"

Click the image for a larger view, or click here to see a closeup of the illustration

Shown above is a broadside for the Engle Clock, a monumental automaton clock built over a period of 20 years by Stephen D. Engle (1837-1921) in Hazleton Pennsylvania, and completed around 1878.

The clock is 11' high, 8' wide, and 3' deep, and was exhibited all over the United States. It was thought to be lost after its last appearance in 1951, but was tracked down by members of the National Association of Watch and Clock Collectors in 1988.

After a painstaking restoration, the clock is fully functional and may be viewed in operation at the Association's museum in Columbia, Pennsylvania.

Cllick here for the Engle clock page at the NAWCC

Below is a trade card for the Engle clock

 

Return to Electric Clocks Main Page


Copyright 2003 FTL Design
Last revised: 22 December 2003